Christmas Star Cookies
Delicious little candied-fruit stars form the center of each double-layer cookie.
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruits
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
1. Cut or chop fruit and raisins into fine pieces. Mix with granulated sugar and orange juice. Set aside.
2. Stir together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat together margarine and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour ingredients alternately with water and vanilla, mixing well after each addition. Stir in Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal. Cover and chill thourghly.
4. Roll chilled dough out very thin on lightly floured surface. Cut with star-shaped cookie cutter. Cut 1-inch circle or star out of center of half the stars.
5. Put small amount (about 1 tsp.) fruit mixture on remaining solid stars. Cover with stars with the center cut out. Press edges lightly together. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
6. Bake at 425° F about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack. Store in airtight container.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen (18) cookies