With every bite, look forward to delectable raisin, date and walnut-filling inside a tender pastry that is topped with a drizzle of powdered sugar glaze.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup marmalade
- 2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
1. To make filling, combine raisins, dates, nuts and marmalade in small mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, stir together Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal, flour, baking powder and salt. With pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and mix with fork until dough holds together.
3. On lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 4-inch circles with floured cookie cutter. Top each with 1 tablespoon filling. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half and press edges with fork to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Place on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 400° F about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Place on wire rack. Drizzle hot empanadas with glaze made of powdered sugar and water.
Serve warm or cold.
Yield: 15 empanadas