Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes are an old-time recipe invented by pioneers as a way to use unripe tomatoes when the first frost threatened the last of the crop.
- 4 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large green tomatoes
1. In pie plate or shallow bowl, combine Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal, garlic salt and oregano. Place flour in second pie plate or bowl. Set aside.
2. In small bowl, beat egg whites and water with fork until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
3. Cut tomatoes in 1/2-inch slices. Dip tomatoes in flour, then in egg mixture, then cereal mixture. Carefully repeat dipping in egg mixture and cereal mixture to double coat completely. Place in single layer on foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 400° F for 8 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Serve hot.